Monday, March 15, 2010

ScribePost: March 15

heyo, so today we didn't really cover too much, so I'll explain what stuck out to me best.

sort of quick review...
Nerves are bundles of axons
Ganglia are swellings associated with nerves that contain cell bodies

now there are two kinds of nerves, Cranial Nerves and Spinal Nerves. at this point mr. mac explained one of my life long questions- how exactly does brain freeze occur? the secret is in the Cranial Nerves, which are attached to the brain and are either sensory or motor. when we drink a freezing cold beverage, these nerves send crazy little messages up to the brain. and since they are related to the face, neck and head as well, we experience discomfort.

some other stuff that I organized nicely in my notes came out looking like this:

Peripheral Nervous System
......./ ...............................\
.Somatic................ Autonomic
(reflexes) ...........((homeostatic)
............................/.......................\
..................sympathetic .......parasympathetic
.................((fight/flight) .........(rest and digest)


for me I just find that it's easier to understand the divisions and subdivisions of things when they're organized like this- hope it helps you guys also!

ok. so all of this is great and all but the thing that I think I will most likely remember from today's lesson is that something as beautitful as this (http://2aday.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/slurpee.jpg) could cause me such pain, and that the answer to this lies in the Cranial Nerves.

20 comments:

warb March 15, 2010 at 7:16 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
diamond64 March 15, 2010 at 8:26 PM  

oooo i like how you organized the divisions and subdivisions. It makes it easier to understand, in my opinion anyways.
AND
I've always wondered why you got a brain freeze from a Slurpee too!

Glidden Paint March 15, 2010 at 8:46 PM  

I like how you attached a link to a picture of a slurpee:) Also, I like how you wrote everything chronilogically (in the order that we covered things), that really helps me remember what we covered in class.

myskiw4000 March 15, 2010 at 9:12 PM  

good job :)your little divisions and subdivisions chart helped my understand a lil more :) and i like the slurpee link too!

zorro March 15, 2010 at 10:21 PM  

I liked the divisions and such, they helped. I liked the slurpee link too, made the cranial nerves more fun.

Gina S March 16, 2010 at 4:36 PM  

haha i love this post, and i hate brain freezes! i love your chart of the nervous system, this makes it a lot easyer to understand! great post this will help when im reviewing!

lauren! March 16, 2010 at 5:28 PM  

I love that chart and the fact that you put the picture of a slurpee. made my day!!!

Melissa March 16, 2010 at 6:17 PM  

i really like how you organized everything in your chart, it really helps clear things up and it will help for studying as well :)

haydenn March 16, 2010 at 6:19 PM  

really like the chart becca !
and now i really want a slurpee..

So Flukey March 16, 2010 at 6:28 PM  

im going to remember the slurpee thing just because of you saying "crazy little message" haha liked that you broke everything down!

Alisha B March 16, 2010 at 9:12 PM  

I also want a slurpee now, waaay to go ahha.
but yeah, the organization is definitely easily understandable and that other chart is just confussing.
Thanks!

KCP3000 March 16, 2010 at 10:27 PM  

I loved this whole post it had a very fun atmosphere!!! I really liked the slurpee/brain freeze part. All I have to do is remember slurpees and brain freeze's and it will remind me of today's lesson

Picklyk12 March 17, 2010 at 7:40 AM  

I used the chart to study! It was much easier to understand.. and the brain freeze explanation really cleared up many questions :)

kaela March 17, 2010 at 7:55 AM  

I really liked how you organized this and it was really useful. This will definitely help me study!

esherren March 17, 2010 at 8:34 AM  

super well organzied! i enjoyed your chart

lea March 17, 2010 at 9:52 AM  

i really like the chart. it makes it easier to understand. the brain freeze thing it pretty interesting too.

Heather March 17, 2010 at 4:42 PM  

this was organized very well, the chart was really good also .

MariaCT March 17, 2010 at 7:26 PM  

nicely done!

http://quizlet.com/310301/biology-the-nervous-system-flash-cards/

if people want to be super keener, i think this would be useful, to make flash cards using this info, or you're own!

daughns March 17, 2010 at 7:42 PM  

thanks warb :) that was veeerrry helpful, actually.
.... thanks for making me crave a slurpee...

Gabbie March 17, 2010 at 8:12 PM  

Nicely Done i must say, understandable and organized too.. i like the way you think Warb :)I find this really useful i will use this...method? to (maybe) study xD

sorry for the late post Mac. Don't cry

About This Blog

This is an extension of the Biology classroom that allows for students to have a space for dynamic conversation to more deeply understand the material covered in class.